Members of the inaugural Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia were appointed for three years by the Australian Health Workforce Ministerial Council on 31 August 2009.
Functions of the Board
The functions of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia include:
- registering nursing and midwifery practitioners and students
- developing standards, codes and guidelines for the nursing and midwifery profession
- handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
- assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia
- approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study.
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia has established State and Territory Boards to support the work of the National Board in the national scheme. The National Board will set policy and professional standards, and the State and Territory Boards will continue to make individual notification and registration decisions affecting individual nurses and midwives.
Our functions are supported by Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). For information about legislation governing our operations see AHPRA's Legislation and Publications pages.
Contact the Board
Dr Lynette Cusack RN, Chair
Nursing and Midwifery Board
G.P.O. Box 9958
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can use the online enquiry form to contact the board.
Read Communiqués from the Board.
Meet the Board
Meet the individual Board members.