AHPRA provides an online application service for enrolled nurses applying for registration as a registered nurse.
This online service is not yet available for an enrolled nurse wishing to apply for registration as a midwife.
You are required to send supporting documents for both registration types (enrolled nurse and registered nurse) in order that your application for registration is complete and can be assessed.
If you are an enrolled nurse:
- who is due to complete an approved program of study that will qualify you for registration as a registered nurse, we encourage you to apply online four to six weeks before you graduate. A paper form is also available.
- wishing to apply for registration as a midwife you can also apply four to six weeks before you graduate by using a paper form.
To smooth your path to registration as a registered nurse or midwife, prepare to apply four to six weeks before you graduate by gathering the following supporting documentation that you will need to send to AHPRA to complete your online or paper application for registration:
If you have changed your name since being granted enrolled nurse registration, you must provide AHPRA with certified copies of your name change documentation. Please see Registration process - proof of identity for more information.
As a student completing studies at an Australian academic institution, you may not yet have your degree conferred and are therefore unable, and not required, to provide a copy of your degree certificate with your application. Your application will be processed when AHPRA receives advice directly from your education provider that you have met the requirements of the course and are entitled to the qualification. If you have already received your academic qualification, please provide a certified copy to AHPRA. Please see Registration Standards for more information.
You are required to provide full details of your registration history. The National Board requires a Certificate of Registration Status or Certificate of Good Standing from every jurisdiction outside Australia in which you are currently or have previously registered as a health practitioner during the last five years. Please see Registration standards for more information.
If you have previously practised as a registered or enrolled nurse or midwife, you are required to give us full details of your work history. Please see Registration standards for more information.
If you have a criminal history in Australia and/or overseas, you must provide details of the circumstances in a signed and dated written statement. Please see Criminal history registration standard available under Registration standards for more information.
You are required to meet the National Board’s English language skills registration standard. For more information about the evidence that you may need to provide to meet this standard, please see Registration standards on our website.
We have also published the following under Fact sheets and FAQ relating to registration standards to guide you:
If you have an impairment, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of that impairment and how it is managed. The National Board will decide whether your impairment is relevant to the practice of the profession.
If your registration is currently suspended or cancelled, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of that suspension or cancellation.
If your registration has previously been cancelled, refused or suspended, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of that cancellation, refusal or suspension.
If your registration has ever been subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations in Australia or overseas, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of those conditions, undertakings or limitations.
If you are disqualified from applying for registration or being registered in the profession, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of that disqualification.
If you are the subject of conduct, performance or health proceedings when those proceedings were not finalised, you must provide a signed and dated written statement with details of those proceedings.
In order to be considered for registration with the National Board, we require the following evidence:
- Your university or education provider to provide evidence that, at the time you completed the course of study, the education provider was subject to an external accreditation process that ensures that the standards and quality of the education it provides to students is monitored, assessed and evaluated.
- Please use this letter template to request information from the education institution:
- That the program of study which you completed and led to registration as a registered nurse, enrolled nurse or midwife was accredited at the time of study.
- Please use this letter template to request information from the regulatory authority:
- Certified copies of documents only (please DO NOT send original documents).
- Certified in accordance with AHPRA's guidelines.
- In English. If original documents are not in English, you MUST provide a certified copy of the original document and translation consistent with AHPRA’s guidelines.
Certification guidelines are available under Registration process - certifying documents.